For this project, my initial idea was to create a character that could be used to illustrate a narrative promoting the use of natural dyes. I experimented with different vegetable dyes, one of the more successful ones being beetroot. I used cooked beetroot to print directly onto the paper and then added in the features.
Although it was a shame that we didn’t get the full collaborative piece finished, I was really pleased with my section of the work. It was really enjoyable working with new techniques and skills to create a finished object.
For my section of the bunting, I decided to first use fabric paint. I decided to use fabric paint as it was going to offer the vibrancy that I wanted. Once that had dried, I used the sewing machine to embroider into the design.
As members of my field group were from textiles, I used this opportunity try something new and was inducted to use the stitch room.