This was my final submitted image for the editorial brief. I was really pleased with this image as I wanted to capture the energy and unity that the women’s marches had, which I think I managed to achieve. Something I need to keep in mind for the future is that neon and fluorescent colours don’t scan particularly well so the colours aren’t always what I hope for them to be.
For the editorial brief, I was aware that my finished image would have to be digitalised, but I wanted to start with something created by hand. In the article, it speaks of coming together as a community and progressing forward, which is what I wanted to represent in my piece. I used the silhouettes in order to represent women but I didn’t want to over feminise it, as this wasn’t necessarily about femininity, but strength and unity.
Link to the article I chose-
Quick experiments in stencil cut posters. Using bold shapes and bright colours together to create the poster design.
Continuing in a similar way to some of my Field project work, I wanted to create some smaller posters with quicker, shorter messages.
My idea for the Creative Conscience project was to make a D.I.Y. protest poster kit. The kit includes letters and symbols which could then be used to create a poster. The idea focussing on giving people their own voice and a way in which to use it. I decided to include a selection of symbols which could be arranged onto the posters as well.
I wanted an emphasis to be on protesting for the positive rather than dwelling and emphasising the negative. I chose bright colours in order to add a lightness to the posters.
To make the kits, I created stencils for exposing the screens and then screen printed the different colours. Overall, I was pleased with the outcome although it was incredibly time consuming and if I were to create a number of kits, this methos wouldn’t be feasible.